Keeping Time

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the tab I've been using:

And songs don't get much easier than this one. It's all power chords and isn't too fast, other than that part. I don't wanna give up on this song because I've invested into learning and my friend who plays bass wants to play it with me.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ok..I got the song, I didn't seem to notice the part you are referring to? Around what time does it occur in the song?

I'm exhausted, I'd re-listen but this music really ain't my thing, if you know what I mean...So if you could just tell me at what time the part you are referring to comes up, that'd be awesome.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's just after the very last chorus where she sings:

"I got what I wanted
I got just what I always wanted
I got what I wanted
I got just what I always wanted"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Thanks all. Though the metronomes don't really help. The reason I don't have one is because I hate them. I can't count with them. Especially once 16th and 32nd notes are involved. Plus I can't focus on it and my playing.

So how do I speed up my playing for that solo? I seem to have it a wall with it.
I've just got to jump in here. Ironically, your reason for not having a metronome is really the only reason to get one. If you could already play with perfect time then you wouldn't need to practice with a metronome, would you?

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi angel

it is quite a strange song since, if the tab is right it is in 3/4 (I don't see any rest symbol in the tablature) with a lot of 32 notes. Since the tempo is very slow (51 bpm), I think you should learn to play the sixteen notes part first (first measure). If it is 3/4 you have to tap your foot three times and count one and two and three and play four notes for every tap (2 when you tap and 2 when you raise the foot). When you will have reached a steady rhythm go ahead...In any case if I can give you a small advice based on my short experience (one year or so), if your rhythmic abilities are not perfect, I'd try to learn some syncopated grooves. In my opinion it is far difficult to learn to play eight notes syncopated patterns (maybe with anticipated chord changes and medium/high pace) than to play sixteen notes regular ones. Actually in syncopated grooves you have to play very syeadily to skip at the right time

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd regard those 32nd notes as 4 "units" (00), (00), (11), (00). Counting to 4 is easier than to 8.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Since the tempo is very slow (51 bpm), I think you should learn to play the sixteen notes part first (first measure).

My computer doesn't show the image all that well, but I think the notation says that a dotted quarter note = 51 BPM. If it is, that's a slight difference in speed, but an important one. It also would indicate the writer wants this to have a triplet kind of feel.

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2