Notifications
Clear all

How would I play this part

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sonictherevenge)
Topic starter  

In this tab how would I play the 5's on the 5th fret part just after the 4,7,9. Would I strum or pick them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(@louisvillenoo-b)
Eminent Member

My guess would be to pick each one, or do a slow strum accentuating each note. I say his because they are not directly above or below each other and are more diagonal on the tab.

Of course, I've only been playing for a year myself, so take what I just said with a large block of salt.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Play them with a single movement of the pick or your thumb, whatever you're using to play the melody.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi, sonic, you're only actually showing five strings there....if the top string shown is the top E string, then you'd have to play it that way. If, however, it's the B string, it might be a touch easier to play the 7th & 9th fret notes on the top E, by playing them at the 2nd & 4th frets. Makes less distance for your finger to travel for the mini-barre across the other 3 strings....then pick those 3 notes one after the other.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Vic.

If the 3 notes are on the B string, play the 7th & 9th fret notes on the E string (2 & 4) and barre the 5th fret with your little finger.

If they are on the E string, play the 4th fret on the B string (9th fret) and play the barre with your index finger.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If they are on the E string, play the 4th fret on the B string (9th fret) and play the barre with your index finger.

duh.....yes, that'd be easier, thanks for pointing that out Greybeard. I had a bit of a blonde moment there....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Or play the 5s as opens on the next string over...

Depends on what happens next. If the next chord/pattern is based around a bar chord on 3 or 7, then do it the way rparker suggests. If it's a folk chord (eg D), then consider playing the opens.

ReplyQuote