Notifications
Clear all

How to Work Out a Strumming Pattern

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@pickinstrings)
Topic starter  

OK, I've looked and can't see a Search function on this website, so I've got to ask a question, and hope I don't cause grief by asking one that's been asked many times before.

How do you convert a music line into a strumming pattern?

I looked at the beginner "wish you were here" lesson, and it shows the chords required and a music sheet or scale (I think that is what it's called) but I can't see how to make a strumming pattern from this.

So is there a lesson somewhere that shows how to convert.

And I don't mean to be rude, but just being told what the pattern is (although that would be appreciated) would only answer half my question. Because when I look at the next song, I would have to ask again, if I don't know how to work it out myself.

Regards

pickinstrings (.... well, I hope to one day!)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mostly it is by listening to the song and trying to pick up the pattern or gleaning what you can out of the standard notation. There was a pretty good discussion awhile back so this may be a starter.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=120844

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

This site was great help to me when i began. It will give you an idea of what many strumming sound like.
http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html

ReplyQuote
(@guyfrompei)

I have used the site that catalina mentioned above and it is very useful. Another couple of things that I try when attempting to figure out a strumming pattern is to "drum" the beat of the song on the body of my guitar with my hands. After that, I mute the strings and try replicating the beat with a series of strums. It usually comes naturally after you figure out the beat.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Most of the time you don't need to replicate the strum pattern EXACTLY fool around with it and your bound to come up with something that will fit.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote