Clear all

Guitar to Amplifier ratio

29 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im curious as to what the general public thinks about this.

If someone for example were spending $1000 would you spend 500 on a guitar and 500 on the amp?

What do you think is the proper ratio asuming thats all the cash you have for a while.

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A $200 guitar in an $800 amp will sound nearly as good as a $1000 guitar through an $800 amp.

A $200 amp sounds like a $200 amp even with a $5k guitar plugged in.

You're missing the option on the poll of 80% on the Amp and 20% on the ax.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow always seems like I'm one post behind king and he's right. The amp will have more effect on your sound than any guitar will.

I have three guitars that I spent $160, $350, and $600 on and I play them through a 15W Fender practice amp. Guess what, they all sound pretty much the same other than the Strat does have that brighter sound.

If I were you I'd spend about $500-600 on a good tube amp and the rest on the guitar. You can get a pretty decent guitar for $400.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I spent almost my whole budget on the guitar and very little on the amp.
I only needed something to practice with and had no intention of playing in public. Later when more funds became available I invested in a better amp.
I guess the ratio would depend on what you want to do and how long before you can upgrade.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Depends on what you want to do with the amp. Is it just for practice where you don't need alot of power? Or are you looking for something you can eventually gig with? I have a 30 watt Kustom, 10" celestion speaker that kicks serious donkey behind. I use it for small gigs, practice and recording, just not powerful enough for bigger gigs or outdoor shows. For the bigger events I use a Peavy special 212. here's a link to it http://www.guitarbargains.com/product.lasso?pr=18412
. I love this amp, 2 overdrive channels effects loop have never had Master volume set above 1.5 and it is more than loud enough for any venue and paid about $550 for it at prosound, paid around $100 for the Kustom. As far as guitars go, Fender Squiers are excellent blow away other guitars in the same price range and many in higher price ranges in my opinion. So at around $250 for a good Squier and $550 for an amp, you still have $200 bucks left for another guitar or a whole lot of accessories

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

I'd blow the whole lot on a acoustic and forget the amp. :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Forced into a $1000 budget ... and owning no other equipment ... to be used for small to medium gigs ... and looking for a decent tone:

Amp: $350 to $500, depending on specific needs -- from medium wattage modeller to 30W tube
Guitar: $300 to $450, depending upon type -- solid, semi, hollow, and probably of Asian or Mexican manufacture
1 or 2 quality effect(s) (e.g., overdrive, wah): $80 to $180
Cables, gig bag, misc: remainder

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I heard somewhere that the amp produces like 60 or 80 percent of the tone. Everybody thinks that SRV's guitar contributed the most to his sound, but it is actually his multi amped tone (Marshalls, Fenders, and a Dumble playing at the same time). I say get a guitar that is comfortable to you, and then pair it with amps until you find "your tone", and then the rest on effects, tuners, etc.. Also, it kinda depends on the music your playing. You don't want to take a jazz box to a metal show (with the kickass exeption of Joe Perry with his jazz box 8) ), humbuckers are more suited for a beefier tone (ala Jimmy Page) while single coils give you a more bell like tone (hendrix, srv, eric clapton). Happy buying! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I think it depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do with it. Personally, i would spend most of the money on a guitar and a little bit on the amp. I could handle going a while with a little practice amp (I actually did until like a week ago) but I would have the guitar I really watned. That isn't to say you aren't going to find a guitar for less than $500-600 that you really like. Then, when you have the money, you can upgrade your amp. I guess you could also do vice versa but to me, a $200 guitar feels, plays, and sounds like a $200 guitar.

Good Luck!

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Spend the majority on the amp. My main gig amp cost me $700 used, my main giggin' guitar, $250 new.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

My amp was 50% of the cost of my guitar.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I was simply seeing what the consensus was in general.. btw there was 2 more options one for 600 amp and 200 guitar etc..

Ill be buying a practice amp to go with my guitar im picking up..but i can eather get a epiphone les lp 100 special with a $200 line 6 amp or I can get a lp100 with slightly more expensive amp.. I think im going for the valvetronix amp that someone recomended to me.

EDIT: I wont be using a loud amp for a long time.. looooong time. Simply becuase even a practice amp is loud enough for where i will be playing at.

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i did what bob did, i just bought my set up about a month agoand spent 700 on a epiphone lespaul black beauty, and 350 on a crate xt 120r
amp that is 120 watts, it sounds good and is louder than hell, but i wish i would have gotten a tube amp.

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

I bought on my local area Ebay, tried before I bought. Paid $380.00 for a 2002 Epi Lespaul custom and $305.00 for a spider 2 210 (loved all the bells and whistles). Today I wish I had spent alittle more time on my choice of amp. Maybe an all tube customized Pignose G40 (tubes, speaker, cabinet and modified. Great reviews. About $350 to $400.00 after mods.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

This advice probably comes up in every gear thread, but here goes.

Buy with your ears. If you can bet better tone with a cheaper guitar through a more expensive amp then go for it. I think a lot of guitarists forget that the amp is really an extension of and just as important, if not more, than the actual instrument.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2