Notifications
Clear all

Electric guitar woes

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dominoes)
Topic starter  

Just got my new electric guitar and this had to happen! Accidentally my guitar was supported against the wall as it usually remains and it fell. There was no damage visible though and I thought everything was fine. But problem was evident after it was played by me for some time as the sounds were weird. On a deeper probe I located that the bridge had tilted and was giving the impression of falling apart I tried in vain to push it back. I am not playing the guitar since and am in a dilemma what to do about this. If suggestions from your end can help me then it would be most appreciated else I have no choice but to take it to the service center. Oh it is a Fernandes electric guitar.

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

1) Take it to a qualified guitar technician. An inexperienced person can do more harm than good.

2) Get a proper guitar stand and never-ever leave it leaning up against something.

I was in a band with a guitarist who leaned his Gibson SG bass against the chair to answer the phone. The guitar fell over and the headstock broke in two, it just folded over in the direction of the strings.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the guitar stand.
I used to lay mine flat because I didn't want them to tip over. then I forgot one day and walked on my guitar. good thing it was a strat and not my acoustic.

you must be feeling sick over breaking your brand new guitar. don't worry or feel bad. that stuff happens all the time.
a guitar tech can readjust your bridge. I bet it is not serious. trouble is the tech has to get paid and when the bill comes close to the cost of the guitar...yikes.
wishing you well
and welcome to the forum.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Have to admit, all the years I've been playing guitar - and I really am one of the clumsiest, most accident prone people you'd ever wish NOT to meet - I've always stood my guitars against a wall. Without incident. Now, I'm paranoid - I don't have much spare cash, but I'm thinking a stand at least for my best guitar might not be so much of an investment as a necessity....

Should I panic now or later?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

This stuff happens and teaches us valuable lessons. I dropped my 7-day old first guitar picking it up by the strap!! Cracked the neck and cost me $65 to repair - but plays good as new and the repaired crack is now probably the strongest part of the neck. I got a couple of opinions from guitar shops but went with the most experienced/reputable/expensive luthier.

I was sick at first - but really no harm done AND I learned 3 valuable lessons:

1) invest in straplocks - although I have not put them on my Squier Tele yet - being very carefull...
2) never pick up a guitar by the strap
3) use guitar stands - not a direct lesson - but made me realize how easy it is to break these things :)

Better to learn the lesson now than on a nicer guitar in the future!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

All good tips above. Our local guitar shop gets a steady trickle of broken headstocks, and other damage, to repair and it's almost always been caused by careless placement of the guitar. Stands are a very good idea, but even that's not 100% foolproof as you can still kick them over, especially when you have cables attached. You really have to just always assume that sooner or later either yourself or some clumsy mate or pet might knock your instrument over, or snag a foot round a cable. So all you can do is bear that in mind when you put it down anywhere, and make sure that it's as stable and protected as possible.

Having said that, your bridge should be fixable, and if the worst that happens is that you are made more aware of what can happen, then it may be not such a bad thing.

Hoping that it's quick to fix,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

1. I know how you feel. Its a horrible feeling. Sorry it happened. Stop kicking yourself around. Things happen. You can't turn back so just do the right thing going forward. As DB mentioned, it doesn't sound too bad. Have a good guitar tech take a look at it and it will be done correctly.

2. Repeat info from above but I'll say it anyways...get a stand.

3. See Number 2.

Now, so that you don't feel so bad, here's what happened to me.

My son was complaining about being bored. I gave him 10 different ideas. One of the was play the guitar. He challenged me and said, "Can I play your Gibson LP?" I said ..."sure wise guy, here, I'll set it up for you."

Plug into the amp, place the guitar over his shoulder. He plays one chord and says.."This guitar is heavy"...phone rings, I turn to answer it, turn back and see my son lifting the guitar over his head by grabbing the strap. Before I could even scream...NOOOooooo!, ....BOOM. the guitar hits the ground headstock first. :shock: :shock:

I hang up the phone pick up the guitar with one hand and put my other hand around my kid's neck. (not really) After unloading the loudest verbal assault I could muster, I inspected the guitar for damage. No damage to the neck, just a dent to the very top of the headstock.

Later, I spoke to my son and told him that it was my fault. I was the one that took the risk. Although, he should have been more careful.

Lesson learned:?: No one touches my LP again. No one.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Should I panic now or later?

Since you are the Guitari Lama now, I guess you have to panic now...

ReplyQuote