Clear all

electric guitar motivation

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey everyone, since ive gotten home from college 4 weeks ago ive been running into trouble on electric guitar songs to learn. when i first got my electric guitar learning simple power chord songs were fun..."heres a few chords and a strum pattern go get em". But than i learned that Jack White song he was playing on the documentary "It might Get loud" called Dead leaves and the dirty ground (which i recommend everyone watches and tries the song) the song was so much fun to learn and play it had the power chords but it also had some cool solo fills and riffs to mess around with and with everytthing Jack White does it leaves room for improvisation. so now that i have the house to myself during the day turning the amp up to 11 and playing that song was fun for a week. maybe its that ive progressed a little more than im giving myself credit for but im yearning for something a little more advanced for the electric. other songs just dont seem as fun. i titled this post motivation because i have since put down my electric guitar. can someone help? please....

PS ive been doing my share of theory and scales and all that every day im just looking for stuff i can go hard to.

(@alangreen)

ive been doing my share of theory and scales and all that every day

Yep, sounds about right. Give it up and get on with some stuff that you'd like to play. Go back to the scales a couple of times a week - guitar's s'posed to be fun, especially in these early days.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...im yearning for something a little more advanced for the electric. other songs just dont seem as fun.

What song are fun for you? Maybe, you simply need to think through what songs actually turn you on! There are plenty of songs out there. You could get a million suggestions. But what bands are you into? What type of music floats your musical boat?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

see thats the problem right there my favorite bands. ive always loved nirvana but i could probably cover the greatest hits album i blew through all that stuff. Jack White tabs are no fun to go through cause most of them the basic simple riff and the submiter says go improvise the rest like hes some white stripes purist. i tried messing around with SRV and hendrix but it seemed a little beyond me maybe i need to commit more? gahhd

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

Wow you can tear through Nirvana's back catalogue, and Jack White/Stripes leaves you empty!

And you don't know what to play next?

Are you asking us for a list of songs? We could give you millions( well hundreds before the question get closed!)

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i wasnt looking for song titles i was looking for help on where to go next...i already said i learned and mastered alot of nirvana probably 15 songs within the first 5 months. i was asking for something a little more challenging.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Look for some:

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Dream Thearter
Andy Timmons
Rush
Pantera

Those should keep you busy for a while!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My suggestion - look for some old (by which I mean anything from, say, Day Tripper - Beatles, 1965 - to RHCP, Under The Bridge, early 90's) songs.

Look for some classic rock from the 80's - Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, G'n'R.

Maybe go further back - say, to the 50's - try songs like Blueberry Hill, 20 Flight Rock, That'll Be The Day. Listen to a lot of music, decide what you like and don't like --- but don't just stick to one genre, you're limiting yourself.

Try writing your own songs - even if you can't come up with lyrics, you might come up with some good riffs. Above all else, keep playing the guitar.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Try writing your own songs - even if you can't come up with lyrics, you might come up with some good riffs. Above all else, keep playing the guitar.......

:D :D :D

Vic

maybe join the SSG here on the GN forums? :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

zeppelin, ac/dc, maybe some smashing pumpkins.

ReplyQuote