Easy Popular Songs using D, G, A

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
43.3 K Views
(@musicmanb)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'm a student teacher trying to teach some basic guitar skills to an 8th grade general music class. In the very short time they spend with guitars in this curriculum, they only learn D, G, and A chords. What I need, though, is some songs that are a little more modern and popular than the ones that my supervising teacher normally uses... because her songs are totally boring the students ("You Are My Sunshine", "This Land is Your Land", and songs like that...). I'm sure they'd get a lot more into learning guitar if they actually enjoyed the songs.

Any ideas of what songs I could have them play with just those three chords? Doesn't matter if they need to be transposed... just so long as they work.

Thanks!

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

That's a basic I IV V progression. You could teach them any song based on a 12 bar blues pattern and transpose it into D. Chuck Berry tunes, for example, Buddy Holly, Beatles. (Maybe play around with transposed versions of "Back in the USSR", or "Revolution". Teach them to play a B5 and you could teach them "Come Together".

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can take any song, in G and transpose it. That opens up about 90% of all C&W songs.

As Musenfreund says, you can take just about any 12-bar blues song and transpose to D.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Bad Moon Rising
Margaritaville
Back Home Again - John Denver

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I posted Crying Time by Buck Owens to the easy song index awhile back. It's G,D,A, A7, D7
Anybody Goin' To San Antone is easily transposed to D, A, G
Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys D, A7, G
Put Your Sweet Lips A Little Closer To The Phone D, D7, A, A7, G

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

We are talking 13 year old's not 43 year old's. Is anybody listening to top 40 radio to identify the blues based tunes or tunes being sampled on the hits that kids are listening to now? I'm not otherwise I would name songs, other then the popular songs of my youth. As a start I would say nothing older the a 2000 release date.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here are a couple more:

Keith Urban http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/urban-keith/stupid-boy-10532.html

Taylor Swift - http://www.allcountrytabs.com/tabs/swift-taylor/youre-not-sorry-16638.html - need to add Bm, though

Counting Crows - Hangin' Around - http://www.tabpower.com/s3799.html - transpose from F C G

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Almost any song can be boiled down to three chords, and once you've done that it's quite easy to transpose them into D major. They might not always fit perfectly, but they'll work.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Twist and Shout - The Beatles
La Bamba aswell

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Breakfast at Tiffany's is one I love playing, it only uses D, G and A so shouldn't even need transposing! If they learn a C too (or if you can fit it in/extra interest) Knocking on Heaven's Door is nice. I've currently done these myself and I started about a month ago, so it should be quite doable! I'm pretty glad you're taking steps to get those kids motivated!

ReplyQuote
(@freya)

Maybe Beatles? Here comes the sun uses D,A,E7 & G. Also Yellow submarine is good as it only uses G,D,A & Em, but it gets a bit tedious after playing it over and over. Also don't forget Let it be G,D,Em,C. The Beatles are great for simple, fun 3/4/5 chord songs. Love twist & shout! Twist and Shout - The Beatles
La Bamba aswell Here comes the sun is good though, if your students are into that kind of stuff. There is also With or without you, but that uses Bm aswell. If you could teach them Bm, then I'm sure you could teach them that. The chords are D,A,Bm,G. You can also do other stuff with the same chords as With or without you. Check out a band called The Axis of Awesome, they did a song called 4 Chords, which is basically 65 songs, using just 4 chords. Pretty neat.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe Beatles? Here comes the sun uses D,A,E7 & G. Also Yellow submarine is good as it only uses G,D,A & Em, but it gets a bit tedious after playing it over and over. Also don't forget Let it be G,D,Em,C. The Beatles are great for simple, fun 3/4/5 chord songs. Love twist & shout! Twist and Shout - The Beatles
La Bamba aswell Here comes the sun is good though, if your students are into that kind of stuff. There is also With or without you, but that uses Bm aswell. If you could teach them Bm, then I'm sure you could teach them that. The chords are D,A,Bm,G. You can also do other stuff with the same chords as With or without you. Check out a band called The Axis of Awesome, they did a song called 4 Chords, which is basically 65 songs, using just 4 chords. Pretty neat.

Good answer. If you know the I-IV-V progression (D G and A in this case) all you need to do is add the VI minor (Bm in this case) and it opens up a whole new world and a few thousand more songs! D, A, Bm, G...With Or Without You, by U2 springs to mid in that key. It's also the easiest bass line in the history of basslines......
G |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
D |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
A |-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-----------------------------------------------------|
E |-----------------5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|

You can use those same four chords in many different keys...G, Em, C, D.....C, Am, F, G....A, F#m, D, E.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member

old crow medicine shows wagon wheel is after 2000 i still don't know how many middle schoolers would recognize the song but its G D Em C. and the whole song follows the same strum pattern.

ReplyQuote