Skip to content
does it make sense ...

Notifications
Clear all

does it make sense to play an unamplified electric guitar?

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matteo,

I play my electric almost always unplugged, because I live in an apartment, and my teacher ALWAYS gets mad at me when I tell him that.

Like others said it's not just about the volume and tone it's also about dynamics etc. You usually have to hit the strings a little harder etc to hear anything and that's where bad habits will start to creep in. You really should practice with an amp as much as possible.

Now if I could only follow my own advice.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

Like others said it's not just about the volume and tone it's also about dynamics etc. You usually have to hit the strings a little harder etc to hear anything and that's where bad habits will start to creep in. Now if I could only follow my own advice.

I have the same problem. I had played a while without the amp, even though I had one. Now, whenever I go to hook it up, I always play it hard, even when I dont need to. :oops: So im trying to Re-train myself...

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Matteo,

I play my electric almost always unplugged, because I live in an apartment, and my teacher ALWAYS gets mad at me when I tell him that.

Like others said it's not just about the volume and tone it's also about dynamics etc. You usually have to hit the strings a little harder etc to hear anything and that's where bad habits will start to creep in. You really should practice with an amp as much as possible.

Now if I could only follow my own advice.

hi cnev

you're confirming what I feared! if I have to hit hard just to listen to what I play, I'll probably develop some bad habit!

I must get an amp :D !

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matteo,

I don't think it's the end of the world to play unplugged but it will definitely be different when you plug in. Especially if you are cranking your amp up you'll start hearing all kinds of sounds you weren't hearing unplugged.

I think it's fine if you just beginning to work out a song but once you are getting close it's time to plug in.

I really like to get into some metal myself so if you have any good tabs to share I'd love to see them.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Matteo,

I really like to get into some metal myself so if you have any good tabs to share I'd love to see them.

hi mate

i do not have tabs since I do not use them because they get me angry 'cause they do not have any rhythm notation and most of the times it is not clear the measures subdivision.

To get a hang on metal rhythms I'm currently using Troy Stetina's "Metal Rhythm guitar" vol I and I guess I could try some Ac/dc or Kiss numbers.
Anyway there's a few hard rock songs that I can play in a simplified way (some of them I have posted in the Easy song forum), the only song which I can play note for note like the original is Skid Row's 18 life (if you do not know it I can explain you how to play it)

Some good tabs seems to be the ones avaialble here

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/tabs/

but I really did not print or studied any of it

Let me know if you have some good tabs including rhyhtm notation

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matteo,

I have some AC/DC that my teacher tabbed out. He writes in tab but he also gives me the rhythm notation also. he uses a wierd size paper so I'll see if I can bring them to work and scan them. Then I can sent them to you as a PDF. Are you able to read PDF files?

I don't consider AC/DC heavy metal but the are fun to crank up and play along to.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I've done it, mainly with the intent of being quiet.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I work kind of in between 2nd and 3rd shift, and my roommate is usually asleep when I get home. I play electric unplugged so I don't wake him up. Practicing unplugged is better than not practicing at all.

On the weekend though, I love to plug in, turn it up, and just jam. :twisted:

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Matteo,

I have some AC/DC that my teacher tabbed out. He writes in tab but he also gives me the rhythm notation also. he uses a wierd size paper so I'll see if I can bring them to work and scan them. Then I can sent them to you as a PDF. Are you able to read PDF files?

I don't consider AC/DC heavy metal but the are fun to crank up and play along to.

hi mate

it would be so great if you could send them. I have most of Ac/dc albums including all the ones featuring Bon scott on vocals so I love them

Thanks in advance

Matteo

p.s. in the case my e-mail address is [email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I work kind of in between 2nd and 3rd shift, and my roommate is usually asleep when I get home. I play electric unplugged so I don't wake him up. Practicing unplugged is better than not practicing at all.

On the weekend though, I love to plug in, turn it up, and just jam. :twisted:

That's why an MFx with headphones is Awesome! You won't "Disturb The Neighbors".

A Vamp
Korg Pandora
RP XXX series
Zoom
POD

Any one of them will work :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2