Notifications
Clear all

Dealing with bad amp hum

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bluezplayer)
Topic starter  

This may be a naive question, but I've got an older 1960s Fender amp I havent played in a while. When i switched it on it hummed pretty badly, worse than I ever recall it doing. I ensured all leads connect firmly, and the amp had been stored well (cover on at all times). Thoughts? Its kinda like an amp hum that needs to be grounded, but this is a two pin power lead with no ground wire ... so ... What can I do to get rid of the hum please?

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This may be a naive question, but I've got an older 1960s Fender amp I havent played in a while. When i switched it on it hummed pretty badly, worse than I ever recall it doing. I ensured all leads connect firmly, and the amp had been stored well (cover on at all times). Thoughts? Its kinda like an amp hum that needs to be grounded, but this is a two pin power lead with no ground wire ... so ... What can I do to get rid of the hum please?

I know you want answers, but I have questions before I can give more than a WAG.

1) Which Fender amp model?
2) What year?
3) How long has it been since you last used it?

I suspect (here's the Wild A$$ Guess) you may have to get the capacitors replaced if it's a tube amp that's been sitting unused a long while.

Safety suggestion: No matter how vintage the amp is, if you intend to use it on a regular basis I strongly advise that you take it to a competent tech that specializes in older amps. Tell him to convert it from the current two prong/death cap wiring to a more modern three prong grounded wiring. Make sure he understands that the modification needs to be easily reversible, and that you want to save the original parts taken off so that you can get full value if you decide to sell it.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote