Notifications
Clear all

Dampened Struming Practice

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kozak)
Topic starter  

Hello guys, I have some questions I hope you can help me answer.

So I am trying to learn some Rumba strumming styles. However, the thing is I live in an apartment, so I am already getting the feeling that my neighbors are annoyed even when I play relatively quietly. Now, vigorous rumba strumming makes the apartment just explode with sound, so I decided to quiet my guitar a bit.

I took one of those hand sponges that are about the size of a bar of soap, cut it into 2, a thin piece and a thick one, and I put either one or the other (depending on how much I want to dampen the sound) under my strings above the bridge.It works great I can still hear the chords but the sound is reduced enough so that I can hit the strings harder and throw my hand around freely without feeling like I am playing to loud and the neighbors will go into a rage and murder me.

Now here is my question. Will practicing like this translate into playing well when the guitar is unmuted? Or will it sound ringy and sloppy if I get used to playing this way. I ask because as soon as I started using this thing I noticed great improvement in my strumming, specifically, I could now do it much faster. I just assumed it is because I am no longer afraid of making noise so picking up the pace with my strumming is easier, whereas before I would try to play tamer and more quietly and that would make it hard to play fast. Yet I began wondering, could it be simply because all the sloppiness of my strumming is being absorbed by the dampener.

Anyway just wonder what you guys think.
Thanks in advance.

(@alangreen)

We all have to deal with the neighbours at some stage in our playing lives and this sounds as good a way as anything.

You might find you need to fine-tune your playing once the sponges come off but it should only be fine-tuning.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I'm wiling to wager a lot of it has to do with you trying to play quieter instead of allowing yourself to just go for it. There is a device that you can place in the sound hole that "quiets" the guitar down, similar to what the sponge is doing. I suspect the sound hold insert may be a bit louder than the sponge but give you a better tone.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote