Clear all

Correct sitting position

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nickgolledge)
Topic starter  

Hi

Hope somebody can help. I'm not too sure about the correct position for guitar when sitting. I've read on this forum about the 4 contact points and I seem to have them okay. What I'm not sure of is how much the guitar should be tilted towards my body. At the moment It's probably 30° and feels comfortable but I'm not sure whether it should be more 'upright'.

I've read about using a strap to support the guitar even when sitting so that your hands don't support the guitar, they just play - it seems to me this would get the guitar more upright. Is this something I should be doing?

Any help greatly appreciated.

(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

What I'm not sure of is how much the guitar should be tilted towards my body. At the moment It's probably 30° and feels comfortable but I'm not sure whether it should be more 'upright'.
/quote]

The more upright the better. I realize that this takes away your ability to see the fretboard (which can be frightening), but the closer you are to upright, the less you wrist has to bend. Two other considerations to benefit efficient wrist position are the height of the neck (too low and the wrist has to bend) and the angle of the neck with relation to forward and backwards (don't point the rifle).

Hope that helps.

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Another good position is, while standing or sitting, raise your left foot on an object and then rest your guitar on your left thigh. The guitar will settle into a perfect postion for playing. If you play left-handed raise your right foot.

When I am standing, I usually use my amp as a foot rest, and when I am sitting I use a small shoe box.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@nickgolledge)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies, will try out your tips.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

Nexion wrote: "Another good position is, while standing or sitting, raise your left foot on an object and then rest your guitar on your left thigh. The guitar will settle into a perfect postion for playing. If you play left-handed raise your right foot."

This, plus the four points of contact, describes classical playing position (the most efficient position, imo).

http://www.tampaguitarlessons.com/playingposition.htm

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote