Clear all

Confused

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The song is Dont Think Twice It's Alright. I learned it out of a book in the key of G. Then I listed to Bob's version and it didn't sound right so i found it online. Turns out that it's capoed on four and played with C mostly shaped chords, which I believe makes it in the key of F. My question is, what do I do about the notes that I was singing? Do I transpose all of that, too? I don't think I can sing up in the key of F but I don't want to go back to the way I was playing it because I like it better in this new key.

(@davidhodge)

Most people do learn this in the key of G, as you did. And, just giving it a listen (off The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album), you will definitely agree that this version of it is in the key of E and that jives with what you found on the Internet.

Thing is, this is down a step and a half from where you originally learned it. Unless that's too low for you, it shouldn't be that much of a change. The question becomes do you like the key or do you like the chords in the new version? If it's the chords (and it does sound very cool), then you just need to put the capo on the seventh fret in order to use the same chords, but now back in the key of G where you were singing it before.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think I see the error in my thinking. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

why can't you simply transpose the song to any key you want?
I stumbled into that song once while noodling. I was playing in C and went from there.
not hard and sounded good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

you had to be inside my mind the day before yesterday....

i thought that because it was capoed and played higher up the neck then the song was higher in pitch and i can't sing up there. but as has been pointed out it's not higher in pitch it's lower because the key changed...so never mind....you'd think i'd get this stuff by now....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Don't get on your own case too much! Trying to figure all this out the first few hundred times always involves second-guessing and moments of "of course! That should have been obvious!" accompanied by a big slap of the forehead. Why do you think neither Nick nor I have any hair there? :wink:

The good news is that the more you go through the process, the less you second-guessing you'll do. Or so I'm told...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@stratslinger)

I have a pretty bassy voice and so I constantly have to use my capo to change songs around. Sometimes it's hard to get a good sound because the chords you are forced to use don't sound as good as they do when played the original way. For instance there is a song I play that goes D Emi. C. The key is in G, which is too high, so I try to go down to F and play it in D position with the capo on the 3rd fret. So the chord shapes then become A Bmi. G, which does not sound at all as good as the original. So sometimes you have to do some tinkering to get a good sound.

Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
GuitarMaster.com

ReplyQuote