Clear all

Classical Guitar Woods

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

About 3 weeks ago, I had sold my Crafter Classical guitar because I needed some quick cash to help pay for Oral surgery. Well, I went back to the store today (sold it at Sam Ash) to find that they have sold the guitar :(

Now I'm actually really quite upset about this, I had grown attached to it, even though I had it for only 2-3 weeks. And I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want to do now. Sam Ash sells Classical Guitars like they sell shoes, and this one just HAPPENED to sell. I smell an employee purchase.

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Cordoba C9 (an all solid wood guitar), but wanted to sit on it for a while because I don't think I NEED a guitar that's all solid wood, I don't make a living at playing lol.

I've been looking at the Cordoba C7, which is Solid Cedar with Laminate Rosewood Back and Sides.

I've also been looking at some Yamaha's that are about 1/4 of the price, but have NATO back and sides. It seems most Yamaha's have this. The only one I was interested in that I did not see the Nato, was the CG162C which has Ovankol back and sides.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@alangreen)

The thing about all-wood tops is that the guitar will play in. It'll sound nice on day one and get better the more you play it.

Laminate tops sound nice on day one and stay that way.

That's the official blurb, anyway. I think you've got to have better ears than I've got to be able to actually hear the difference. Either that, or be an incredible snob about these things.

My main guitar is an Alhambra 4P - solid top made from red cedar, rosewood back and sides (laminate, I think) mahogany neck, ebony fretboard - I think it sounds fine. Would I like a Greg Smallman guitar? Of course I would, but it can wait.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan!

The only other thing I'm thinking about is the fact that they have my Cordoba C5 w/Hardshell Case that I sold them to get the Crafter. So I have mixed feelings about paying twice for my guitar, although I don't think I should think of it that way, I do.

So for $260, I get a Cordoba C5 and a Hardshell Case. And I owned that guitar so I know what strings are on it, and I know it's feel and flaws etc.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I highly recommend taking a look at La Patrie guitars

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

I have an Etude:
Back & Sides : Wild Cherry
Neck : Mahogany
Top : Cedar
Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood

I absolutely love mine... the sound is as good as any classical guitar I have ever had in my hands. I got mine used - absolutely mint condition with case for $175. Not sure what the "new" prices are. I have heard many times from many people that La Patrie is the best bang-for-the-buck.
I had an old Yamaha G55-a classical before this one - and even through it is generally rated as a decent guitar, it pales in comparison to the Etude.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've heard that about La Patrie guitars. The problem is that nobody in my area sells them. I wanted to take a look at one, but I also have a real problem with buying guitars on the internet that's not from Rondo. I would rather play them first.

I ended up getting my old Cordoba C5 back, they never sold that one. I compared that one to about 7 other guitars, and it blew away even it's big brother the C7, and some more expensive Takamine guitars. So I talked them down to $200 for the Cordoba C5 and since it was mine, I knew it came with a Hardshell case, so I got that in there too!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've heard that about La Patrie guitars. The problem is that nobody in my area sells them. I wanted to take a look at one, but I also have a real problem with buying guitars on the internet that's not from Rondo. I would rather play them first.

La Patrie is one of the Lasido brands. Lasido is the parent company that also makes Seagull, Godin, Richmond, and a few others too. I think La Patrie is the only line of classical guitars they make. Maybe somebody who carries one of their other lines can get one of the La Patrie guitars in for you to check out?

http://www.lasido.com/

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote