Notifications
Clear all

Begginer looking to purchase a guitar.

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gt5526)
Topic starter  

Hello... I'm a left handed begginer who's been playing for about 2 months looking to purchase a new guitar and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

I'm looking to spend up to 300 or so.... I've looked at Little Martins, Takamine, Ibanez, Washburn, Fender and to be honest... I'm just not sure what's good for me... I'd perfer it have electronics but not a necessity. The one I've been leaning towards is the Ibanez AEG18LII.

I enjoy playing country music and classic rock. If anybody has suggestions options I'd really like to hear from you.. Thanks a ton.

(@mystery2me)

I hope someone with a LOT more experience answers. I am pretty new but what helped me past all the salesmanship was I went to guitar shops and had them play what they had in my budget. Then I handled each in my own crude way. The one I bought wasnt the one I thought I wanted once I heard them. YMMV

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the best way to choose a guitar is to play them. each have qualities, but only one or two will feel right. that is the most important factor IMO. if your fingers feel comfortable reaching all the strings and frets, if the guitar neck feels good, and you love the sound the guitar makes....you can only learn this by trying. best wishes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

First don't buy a left handed guitar. Even if you've spent the last 2 months learning backwards. The sooner you switch the better.

Second, I really like dogbite's idea of having them try out the different guitars for you! It's really invaluable if you can hear the guitar first! If you can take a friend with you make them do it. Just make sure to keep something consistent like the amp. You can EQ the amp to the different guitars just make sure you're hearing them all out of the same amp. Me personally, I usually look down the neck for imperfections before I strum it BC big flaws are a hard no. Then I play it acoustically. It's an old guy trick but it works. If I like it acoustically I'll enjoy it plugged in.

Lastly, I usually tell people to just buy something they think looks good. It sounds backwards, but at this stage, you really just need time on your instrument. If you like the look, you'll most likely practice more.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@jordan-m)

$300 isn't a lot when you're looking to get a top range guitar from a well known brand. But there are lots of excellent electric guitars out there in the $200-300 range.

The Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster is a good option, and Squier is owned by Fender. They're good for country music and rock, so perfect for you.

The Epiphone Les Paul 100 is best for hard rock and jazz. It's no Gibson, but MUCH cheaper and has a really nice sound.

The Yahama Pacifica PAC112V is a versatile and inexpensive guitar. It has a reputation of being great for beginners and intermediate skill levels.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

First off, a belated welcome to Guitar Noise.

Being a left-handed guitarist, I'd like to make some recommendations. First off, if you can play comfortably right-handed, then by all means do so. For most people, though, it comes down to whether or not your right hand will do well keeping rhythm. If so, then go right-handed because you're going to have an easier time finding guitars.

That being said, there are lots of options available to you in your budget ranges. Keep an eye out for "deals of the day" on major guitar / music dealers such as Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, and the like.
If you have a shop near you, go try whatever happens to be there to give yourself an idea of what you're interested in. Find out which guitars feel good to you and work from there.

Looking forward to hearing how your search is going.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@nick6)
Eminent Member

Takamine

or in order of desireablity

Ovation
Takamine
Yamaha
Washburn
EPI
Ibanez

https://www.reverbnation.com/adjunct2ordinarypeople/songs

ReplyQuote
(@majesticcats)

I 100% reccomend getting a squier Fender stratocaster. I'm a beginner too, and I've learned alot with this guitar. The price is 299$, which isn't bad for a high-quality beginner guitar. As far as amps go, my very first amp was the peavey audition. It's a great travel-sized amp with built-in reverb/distortion, so no pedals needed to get that metal sound. :)

ReplyQuote
(@mcpicker)

Hello... I'm a left handed begginer who's been playing for about 2 months looking to purchase a new guitar and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

I'm looking to spend up to 300 or so.... I've looked at Little Martins, Takamine, Ibanez, Washburn, Fender and to be honest... I'm just not sure what's good for me... I'd perfer it have electronics but not a necessity. The one I've been leaning towards is the Ibanez AEG18LII.

I enjoy playing country music and classic rock. If anybody has suggestions options I'd really like to hear from you.. Thanks a ton.

I kind of agree with the folks that suggested for you to switch to right-handed as soon as possible. I know that it's easier said than done, but southpaws have a real hard time finding guitars. My daughter is a lefty too, but I'm teaching her right handed just because of this.

For $300 I would suggest a Yamaha A1M. Yamaha makes great stuff for the price. One thing that you should really consider is a professional setup. When you are starting out you need an easy to play guitar - otherwise it will become a wall art real quick.

My 2 cents!

Cheers!

MC
http://www.guitarhobbyist.com

ReplyQuote