am i to old?

47 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
11.2 K Views
(@math280)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am 34 years old and iv always wanted to learn how to play guitar , but i have a learning dissablity and adult add. Its very hard for me to understand cords and i get frustrated really quick and thats why i have given up all these years because i tell myself that i cant do it ! Well im alot older now and i do really want to learn , but maybe im to old now.
:?

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

There are plenty of us here who picked up the guitar seriously later even than you. 34 is not so old is it? You're also not the only player here with ADD, so these are hurdles to overcome, but not the end of the line as far as guitar playing is concerned.
The trick will be to keep the guitar intersesting so you can stick with it. I found this a great site for that.
Read some of the chord theory articles and start with the song lessons and just ask questions here if you get stumped.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

You are 34 now. In 10 tears you will be 44. If don't try to learn guitar how old will you be? I guess what I'm trying to say is you're never to old to try . I have a friend who began guitarv lessons at age 51 and althought he may never play like Clapton he gets great joy out of the few song he can strum the chords to . Find a good teacher, pratice patience, and set attainable goals. Good luck and check out the Quote at the end of this post

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I started at 45 and have been playing for around three years now. You're most definitely not too old.

You can do it.

If I were you, I'd start here:

Beginning Chords

and here:

First Chords with photos.

Then move on to this section:

Easy Songs for Beginners.

There's also a forum where folks ask questions and share tips about the lessons:

Lessons Forum

There's lots of support here, so get your guitar and get started!
:wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And welcome to the asylum for the musically insane!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@valig)

You are definatley not too old. I have been screwing around with the guitar since I was a kid, but started seriously studying at age 49. I can handle the blues pretty well and am even workingon some Jimi. You can do it. Like was stated above take your time, set realistic goals. And you can find all the help in the world right here. This siteis a tremendous help/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In ten years, you'll sound like someone who has been playing for ten years, no matter how old you were when you started. Assuming you have quite a few decades to live, this means you can end up sounding like a guy who has been playing for 40 years.

The only important part is: don't feel the need to go too fast. If you can learn one chord a week, you'll still know 50+ chords at the end of the year. Continue this. and start to learn one song every month, starting after a year of practicing, and you'll end up with over 400+ songs and 2000+ chords (do we actually have this many voicings anyway) at the end of the ride. That;s a lot.

So just get yourself a decent guitar, and if it is an electric, nice amp, and try to find a good teacher. Then just roll along and steadily improve your skills. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

YOur never too old, I plan to never stop playing guitar untill I physicaly cannot play anymore. age is not a conern with guitar! you can be as you as you want or as old as you want you can still probably learn guitar! Good luck and I hope you do eventually learn.

Bstguitarist,
Best Wishes
:lol:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I started at age 50 and there are a few people on this forum who started older than me. 34 is very young from where I'm standing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

34? You are practically a whippersnapper.

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

My next door neighbor is coming up to about 64 and just recently bought his guitar after he learned i was trying to learn....we practice alot now....hes getting better than me.... :evil:

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am 57..............Nuff said......................

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

A.D.H.D. isn't fun. I know, TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!! But you will learn how to focus, IF you really want to play.

I'm not the greatest player in the world (or the best speller) but, I have learned that if I want to play the songs I REALLY WANT to play, I REALLY HAVE TO FOCUS!!! And I can say that I have achieved what I could only have hope for at this point. From here on..... it's only going to get better.

34? Your not even half-way through your life yet.

ReplyQuote
(@math280)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot to all of you for your replies!!! It helped me alot!! i will keep practicing and ill try not to get to frustrated. :D

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I am another 'oldie newbie' - 55 with just two weeks learning so far.

It's frustrating alright and sometimes the tips of my fingers feel like their about to bleed (plenty of advice on this can be found on theses forums) but I am determined to stick with it and learn to play.

In Australia, and I am sure the same thing applies in other countries, mature-age university students achieve better results than those recently out of high school. Hopefully the same thing can be applied to guitar students. :D

All the best.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4