Clear all

A chord suggestions?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vanhalenwannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's my understanding that no matter if you use fingers 1,2 e 3 ; or use fingers 2, 3 e 4 ; it is physically impossible to press next to the frets when playing the A chord. After all, no two bodies occupy the same place at the same time?

So it seems like the only way to do it is by barring the three strings (D, G and B) with your index finger. While this improves the sound of the notes, but makes it harder to change the chords.

Am I mistaken, or is it just one of those things that will take time and practice to really nail down? I'm not sure which answer is worse.
:oops:

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Try fingering it 2-1-3. You should be able to get your 2nd and 3rd fingers right against the fret (as in an A7 chord) - then you put your index finger between them and sort of shove it into the mix. It won't end up right against the fret, but it'll be about twice as close as when you use 1-2-3

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 JonA
(@jona)
Eminent Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you have to be next to the frets?

As long as you push down hard enough so the strings are held tightly against the fret, everything should sound clean and proper, right?

Either way, I use 2-1-3, as NoteBoat suggests; it also makes switching to E or D fairly painless—same finger on the G string for all three chords.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Being next to the fret - as close as possible without being on top of it - allows you to get a clean tone with the least amount of pressure. The farther away from a fret your finger is, the greater the potential for having the string buzz on the fret - unless you increase the pressure. That will affect your intonation (although most players won't notice that unless they're using jumbo frets or have terrible action)... and heavy fingers are the enemy of developing speed. To play quickly, you need your fingertips to dance on the strings rather than stomping on them :)

So I'd say he's on the right track.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've got into the habit over the past few years of playing the A chord with just TWO fingers...1st and second. I don't know how it started, but it's become totally natural and while it might not be common practice or even a good habit, it works for me....

There are advantages. 1 - Your fingers aren't cramped together, especially useful if you've got thick fingers. 2 - Using just the 1st and 2nd fingers allows the top E string to ring out clearly. 3 - Makes it easy to add either the top E string at the 5th fret OR the top E string and the B string at the 5th fret with your pinkie, for a slightly different sound....like playing a G chord as 320003 or 320033 but moved up two frets, and you don't have to bother moving the bottom E and A strings up.

I also use the mini-barre across the 2nd fret on the D G and B strings.....sometimes in conjunction with the pinky at the 5th fret, sometimes without. This makes it easy to add a sus4th or a 6th note....or both if you like Keith Richard-style add-ons!

Like I said, it might not work for everyone but it does work for me....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I also use the mini-barre across the 2nd fret on the D G and B strings.....sometimes in conjunction with the pinky at the 5th fret, sometimes without. This makes it easy to add a sus4th or a 6th note....or both if you like Keith Richard-style add-ons!
Mini-barre! Great also for doing messy I - IV - V rock beneath a full barre. If fretting separately I usually use 234 which also works beneath the full barre, sometimes more convoluted fingerings if it makes the change easier. Depends on your fingers of course, I also had to start off 213 before I could persuade my hands to do 234, but it's not the most mobile shape.

ReplyQuote
(@vanhalenwannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! Your tips are definitely working. I'm still a little sloppy - but getting a lot better than I was a month ago!

ReplyQuote