Plectrum or fingers!?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@shinypinkguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello, bass newbie here again!

As a new bass player who's been playing the normal guitar for a couple of years, I've been using a plectrum for playing the bass.  This seems to suit my friend's songs (who's band I'm now in!) as they are on the heavy side and require a punchy sound.  (By the way, if anyone wants to listen to any of the songs, some are on the website below in demo form  ;D - would love to know what anyone thinks!)

However, I know it would probably build my versatility as a player to do some finger picking...what's everyones opinion on this?  Are there any good exercises for strengthening my picking fingers on this or other sites?

Thanks xxxx

http://www.chinmusicrocks.co.uk

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Rest-Stroke is the main finger style for the bass guitar. You probably already know how to do it, but if not, it's where you place the fingertip on the string you're going to play and move the finger 'through' the string till it rests on the string below. Like classical guitar players.

Most people use the index and middle fingers in alternating strokes, but some use index, middle and ring fingers alternating. It's good for triplets and fast playing. The best way to get into it is to just do it over and over again, just playing one string to start with (perhaps the A string) so you get the feel of it, then move on to the other strings. The E string; you won't have a lower string to rest on (unless you have a fiver), but it's the same feel. The string should feel like it's slipping off the tip of your finger on each stroke.

As far as getting a punchy sound: you can get it with finger style too. Like that guy from Iron Maiden. He used three fingers and had a dynamite sound. You'll notice finger style sounds a little duller, but you can compensate for that by adjusting the amp to have a little more treble on it. In fact some people think finger style is more punchy because it allows you to damp the string between notes -- every time you put your finger tip back on a string to play another note, it damps it before you strike the next one. It's a real tight and precise sort of sound. Playing with a pick sometimes lets the notes blend together because the pick doesn't have as much mass as a finger tip does so the string is still vibrating when the next note is struck.

A good way to get into finger style playing is to maybe take 3-4 bass guitar lessons at a local music shop -- just so there's someone there to correct and advise as you go along.

But as far as finger strenth and stuff, you just have to do it a lot.

Oh, and your fingernails on the plucking hand have to be real short so you don't get that 'clicky' sound between notes. Your fingertips will probably get red and sore if you practice a lot -- almost like a burn -- but if you keep going the fingertips get callused (sp?), and when the calluses wear off and go away, you'll have just tough skin to work with and you can play all night if you have to.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@killershrimp)

I use both.... it just takes practace!

ReplyQuote
(@derherr)

i switched from rhythm guitars to the Bass about a year back and had the same dilema ... i actually used to find it difficult to play without the pick ... it takes some time and practice to get used to playing with the fingers ... it actually gives a much rounder and bassy sound ... with minor adjustments to tone on the guitar and amp, it can be made to sound quite punchy and crisp... i sometimes (rarely now) use the pick for some upbeat fast punchy song ... especially if it is a fast song !!

to start with, i suggest you place your thumb on the protruding pickup of your bass (there most certainly is one ..) and pick upward ... try using your index, middle and ring fingers for a start .... the use of the little finger for picking is quite difficult and rare ...

cheers !!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I usually use my fingers, since a pick just can't imitate the whump sound your fingers give (and it can't play slap bass).  I'm fairly adept with a pick, since I play the guitar as well, but to me it sounds a little thin and weak on the bass.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I like playing it with my thumb on the  pickup and alternateing index and middle finger.  

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

I tend to alternate on pklectrum/fingers depending on the style of song, but I have recently been playing more with fingers, and I love it. You really can get a great sound from fingers. Also, its more fun, and it looks cooler!!

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@shinypinkguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How long have you been playing Petrix?

I have been practising with fingers but as I've only been playing for a month intensively in preparation for the band, I've found using a plectrum the quickest method of getting to grips with things.  Plus, as I've been learning the standard guitar for a couple of years, I do find it more natural I suppose.  
Finger picking in perfectly even tone/time  (ie. controlling the movement of each finger very very meticulously!) is going to take me quite a while to get the hang of I reckon!  
What I'll probably try and do is when I practise, try blundering through some songs using fingerpicking, then hopefully this will help build up strength and control!

http://www.chinmusicrocks.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mike-green)

I'm a bit of a bass newbie myself. I've been playing since March last year but because I'm so busy all the time I hardly get any time to practice. I'm still developing which style I prefer to play with but I can say that I swing in favour of using a plectrum purely because of the sort of sound that it produces on the output.

I use my fingers sometimes and I normally put my thumb on the pickup (for comfort more than anything) and just use my lower fingers. I don't really like this method though.

Best,

M 8)

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

The fulla who taught me how to play bass was a jazz guitarist and consequently, i learned using my fingers. I can't play with a pick; it feels too much like using a spoon to cut a steak.

el_warko

ReplyQuote