New Bass Day

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had a bunch of effects pedals I wasn't using, so I put them on talkbass for sale. My plan was to buy a Tech 21 VT Deluxe, but I found the exact bass I had been wanting in the classifieds before my stuff sold. I made an offer and got it. After all my pedals selling, this baby cost me an extra $15. Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz in natural maple. It was new in 2010 and doesn't look like it has ever been played. I put new Rotosound 77s (flatwound Jazz) strings on it last night and took it practice today. It sounds incredible and really punchy. Pic is at the following link.

Bass player for Undercover

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Very nice! I like the inlays.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was considering that bass when I bought my Squier and it is really good for the bucket... In your case, obviously, it is extremely good for the bucket!

And does it sound good with flatwounds? Did you note a difference? When I bought my latest set, I was looking for flatwounds and the sales person recommended the roundwounds. Since it was a new store, I never knew if he was right or simply he sold the strings that he preferred...

Congrats!

btw, I was reading about the Tech 21 yesterday...

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm a huge fan of flats. My P-Bass has had the same set of La Bellas on it for 3 years. I had flats on my 5 string Jazz, but put Rotosound rounds on it trying to get mid-rangy punch. But they are just uncomfortable and I get a lot more finger noise and squeaks with the rounds. The Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats sound quite different from the La Bellas (and not just because they are 3 years old :D ). They are brighter and have more of that snarl the rounds usually have. With the Jazz pickups, I was able to dial in that tone I was wanting. I think I'm going to switch back to the D'Addario flats I had on my 5 string since I have this Jazz now.

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

I've been eyeing that very bass since the store where the wife and I take lessons became a Fender dealer.

I took it for a "test drive" for one of my lessons and really liked it.

BTW, nice avatar. :wink:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

Congrats! Nice looking bass.

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Following up...

I ordered one of them for a belated birthday present and picked it up last week. Really enjoying it... getting used to the (substantially) heavier weight as compared to my Yamaha RBX-270 (single P pickup, alder wood body), but definitely digging the tone.

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Following up...

I ordered one of them for a belated birthday present and picked it up last week. Really enjoying it... getting used to the (substantially) heavier weight as compared to my Yamaha RBX-270 (single P pickup, alder wood body), but definitely digging the tone.

Cool! Hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine. I picked up my P-Bass a couple of weeks ago after not playing it for a while and had forgotten how thick the neck was.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow! Just noticed the avitars.....

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@johnworne)

hello
i love guitar.Love Bee basses and that one is a beauty, congrats!

best regards
john worne

ReplyQuote
(@danielrid)

Congrats! This is a very nice bass! :D Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@manymaniyaa)

hello
i love guitar.Love Bee basses and that one is a beauty, congrats!

best regards
john worne

Its all the type and hype between the effort but still congrats

ReplyQuote
(@houston)

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

ReplyQuote