Little Thumper

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Say hello to the newest member of the household:

My Mustang arrived today and man am I thrilled!
I decided to make the move to short scale about a month ago. I bought an Epiphone EB 0 on sale and can safely say it was the worst guitar I've ever played. Sound, playability, ergonomics...you name it and it stunk.
So after wrestling with that clunker for a weekend I ordered the Mustang. What a guitar!
Stunning finishing, great neck and action, amazing sustain (much better than my Squier Affinity full scale; I'm going to have to learn to damp those open strings better!), fantastic tonal clarity even in the lower register.
The factory strings, as Slejhamer so aptly put it, are a little 'zingy', but no big deal. I'll swap them out tomorrow.
The second I put the guitar on, I thought, 'This is a player'. Now all I have to do is become one!
:)

Don

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new addition. Unfortunately, the image isn't posting.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm guessing it is a Fender Mustang bass, cool. I like my Eastwood which is also a 30" scale. I have flatwound long scale strings on it. I am looking at getting another shortscale bass and putting a set of piccolo strings on it for kicks.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats!

8) 8) 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Congrats on the new addition. Unfortunately, the image isn't posting.
Sorry, guys, photobubket instituted some links option I didn't notice. Maybe that's why only I could see the pic.
Please let me know if you can see it now.
Thanks all.
If not, here's another route:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Is that a standard 34" scale bass?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Is that a standard 34" scale bass?

No, it's a 30" scale. Still lots of oomph, though. I couldn't be happier with it. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, I like those short scale basses. Sloppier strings but easier to play. Good call.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Corbind, I did not like the "sloppier" strings on my Eastwood, thus my choice of long scale strings and in particular a little heavier gauge than what came with. I'd like to get my hands on one of those Mustangs and compare.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The standard Fender short-scale strings are light and floppy. Lots of zing, a little bit of punch.

A little bird told me that Boxboy will soon be putting a heavier gauge set on his 'Stang. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Ah, but I'm a guitar player, so I like sloppier (short scale) strings. Sad, but true. Or honestly, the normal scale bass seems so long compared to my 24.75" scale guitar. Played bass at band practice the last couple of weeks and I suck on a long scale.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

Classy bass Boxboy, I wanna hear some recordings

I've noticed the same Corbind with the fret lengths. When I've switched from playing guitar to bass my finger really start to feel the stretch

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

At first when I started playing bass that extra stretch helped my with the guitar in giving me extra reach, now I have a hard time as a result of it, I'm making mistakes fairly often where I go to play an A shape barre and it comes out x36663 instead of x35553 (just picked C at random, reality is I probably make this mistake more around the 5th or higher frets).

ReplyQuote