[Sticky] David Hodge Idiot's Bass book: Everything concerning IGPB

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
28.1 K Views
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Seems like there should be a sticky at the top to cover all related to his Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass book. That way it would all (besides the other forums) be in one place. That way there could be a pile of info in one thread. Just a thought.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Consider it done! Good idea!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I saw David post something about errors in the book that were possibly bad enough to cause confusion/frustration to people learning from it, is there a link somewhere to this list of corrections, that'd add some value to this thread for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@stang)
Eminent Member

My wife decided to clean up our pool room (where the guitars hung out) and move the guitars upstairs to the parents retreat. During this move the CD from David's book took the opportunity to secure its freedom and it has not been seen since.

I emailed David asking if the Mp3's were available and he insisted (even though I am in the other side of the world) in sending a replacement CD. Complete with encouraging message.

David - as we would say down here - your blood is worth bottling.

Many thanks.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I'm going to admit that the one and only time I did anything with the cd, was to rip them to my computer, since that's where I generally do most my guitaring at (or near) and it's the place I have the best control over playback too, I've never liked fumbling with real cd's much, the down side is my mp3 collection takes a few hours to transfer between computers when I have to do a full backup or switch to a new computer.

Maybe something for a future release of the book would be to include an appendix of things people are likely to look up again, the index is great and all of course but some of the chord patterns like for major and minor and many of the scales referenced in the book could all be placed on a few pages at the very back, with not much more than a note saying what it is (and maybe like the index a reference to the page with full details). This is probably redundant but I might not be the only one who tends to view the old music books as reference material and not read the whole thing through again (I'm going to admit I haven't actually gone through the whole book yet, and when I have finished it I'll probably go through and refresh myself on it all at least once).

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know my brother took the book and made tons of notes in it and has those tape flags sticking out all over the place. He even made notes in the back as a handy reference when he wanted to get back to something quickly. I'll have to get my copy out and reread it. Already done that a couple of times.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hard to believe it has been just about two years since my published "review" of David's bass book, coinciding with my time in the praise band at church.

I just re-read my comments on amazon, and what I wrote seems to hold up. Thinking about it now, to me it's like being tossed into the deep end of the pool by a coach who says "I've told you how to swim, and given you examples, but I can't swim for you. You know what to do. Swim!" I find it interesting to see some of the negative comments by people looking for a specific how-to method. It goes back to the "give a man a fish" vs. "teach a man to fish" approach. David's teaching approach works well, in my opinion.

This weekend I helped a young boy in my church buy a used bass on Craigslist (a Yamaha BB414 - big-time bang for the buck, really impressive bass for the price.) I got the greatest compliment just from him and his father coming up after services to ask me for advice. Apparently they were moved by my groove! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yea, time does slip away. Two years? Good Lord!

I've found myself reading David's book four times since I got it. I'm not a "you-gotta-support-the-main-man-on-this-site" guy. I could easily. But I still find the book well-written. Hell, I bought one for my brother who has played bass for 20 years. He digs it.

All I know is knowledge is POWER. 'nuff said.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I also read that review. It was not necessary for me because I read a lot of David's articles and I like very much that style. But not everybody know his online guitar lessons!

I think he and his book are partially in charge of my current love on basses.

And the BB414 is a great bass! I was the doubt until the last minute when I bought my Squier. It is very 'bass', powerful. I didn't distinguish the bridge pickup but probably I could do it now.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just did some research on your bass. Seems viable.

Yea, I dig David's book. Sick, but I've read it 4 times and I love it. I don't even play bass anymore! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I just got a copy yesterday, even though I don't have one or play bass... yet. :wink: I can see even now that if I follow the book, it won't be that hard to learn to play, especially having more guitar under my belt by the time I'm ready to get my bass guitar. It's a terrific book. I even loaded the cd into a playlist in iTunes so I can reference. And in fact I used it to understand something.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Minotaur, you just bought the book? It's a great read, especially after the first few.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Yes, I ordered it since it wasn't on the shelf. But it was in the distribution center's system, so the store was able to get it. I ordered it on Thursday and picked it up on Saturday. It's available on BN.com also. That's how I knew I could get it at the store, not to mention seeing it in our system.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I was at the local Barnes & Noble, and they had a big table full of Idiots and Dummies books, but the bass book wasn't in the stacks. Is it only online?

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

No, the stores can get them, but I ran into the same thing in the store. The lady was surprised they had not received it yet, since there were other Complete Idiot books on a table (all B&N's follow the same display layouts). I'm sure it will be in the stores soon, even if it's one copy. I will bet that my order is going to kick off a request for another copy or two for that store.

But as I said, you can order it at the customer service desk and they will have it in 2-3 days for you to pick up, no shipping fees or anything. They will alert you by phone or e-mail. When I checked the system, there were plenty in the warehouse. So far 20 have been picked for shipment (mine was probably one :D )... but I have no idea where they went.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2