Bass Compressor?

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
17.2 K Views
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What do you recommend as a compressor for bass guitar? I need it mainly to smooth out the levels and increase sustain, so transparency is key.

(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

the electro harmonix black finger is outstanding as a compressor. another great compressor is the markbass compressore. both are tube and both are high end. if you want a cheaper one.. the electro harmonix soul preacher is a really good alternative.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have read many good reviews on the Aguilar compressor. No direct experience with Aguilar

And I have the EBS octave and I love it. The pedal is absolutely transparent. They also have a nice compressor.

Ed Friedland uses many MXR pedals for basses but I don't know if it is a kind of endorsement. I have the analog delay and it does not modify the original tone.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Anyone played the Boss bass compressor?

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

Thanks guys. Anyone played the Boss bass compressor?
i tried one and quite frankly i think it could have been more transparent.. its buffered bypass, and boss usually does a very good job with buffered bypass but there is a significant tone suck on that pedal.. and fyi, i tried two of them out.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Almost no experience with Boss pedals, I have always been discouraged from them. I have the Boss looper for practicing. I don't know if it "sucks" the tone but I sound completely different when the pedal is in the chain (I don't say it sounds bad, it sounds different).

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've used the Boss CS-1 on my bass for a while and haven't been happy with it. I just got the LMB-3 (Limiter Enhancer for Bass) and it works better. The Enhance knob should be labelled Suck knob because it scoops the mids. My biggest complaint about it is the hiss while it's on and I'm not playing. It's not very loud, but I hear it. I haven't had a lot of time to really play with the settings yet. I want to get the MXR Bass Compressor (M-87).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Update. The reviews for the MX-87 were very good, and I discovered that MarkBass also made a compressor, at the same price. I finagled GC to let me try them both, and there was really very little difference - both were very quiet! So I bought the MarkBass because it matches my amp.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=121

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Update. The reviews for the MX-87 were very good, and I discovered that MarkBass also made a compressor, at the same price. I finagled GC to let me try them both, and there was really very little difference - both were very quiet! So I bought the MarkBass because it matches my amp.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=121

I finally ended up getting a deal on the MXR compressor and love it. Very quiet, very transparent.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@kc0bbq)
Eminent Member

I use the Markbass Compressore for guitar. It's just a nice, transparent compressor for the price. Sturdy and well built.

ReplyQuote
(@johnc)

+1 for Markbass compressore or EBS Multicomp. I think its worth getting a "high end" compressor instead of Boss or Digitech ones which you might just replace soon after.

ReplyQuote
(@mccoy2015)

What do you recommend as a compressor for bass guitar? I need it mainly to smooth out the levels and increase sustain, so transparency is key.

An EQ, Preamp, and Compressor - can shapen and smoothen things up.

http://www.constantinecruz.com/10-best-bass-guitar-effects-pedals/
There are lots of good compressor, but I recommend a MXR M87 and the Electro-Harmonix Bass Preacher Bass Compressor and Sustain. For Preamp and EQ Pedal -Ampeg SCRDI Bass DI Preamp and MXR 10 Band Graphic EQ.

ReplyQuote
(@danielrid)

I would recommend harmonix black finger compressor!

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@jeanfeliz)

+1 for Markbass compressore or EBS Multicomp. I think its value getting a "top of the line" blower rather than Boss or Digitech ones which you may very well supplant before long.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2