Clear all

Ampeg fans-help me decide

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Because of finances, I need to decide between one of the two options.

The age old question..."Can I get by with less power with a good PA?"

Bear in mind, my wife is our singer, so we (I) should really invest in a decent PA anyway. We've been renting them as we've needed them. (Which is becoming more frequent lately)

We play metal, mostly small to medium venues. A lot of Maiden tribute stuff.

I'm currently using an old P.O.S. Crate 1X15 combo with a mic. I think it's around 200W. It's just barely enough.

Our guitar players both use tube Marshall half-stacks. (not sure what model)

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Try this. Turn down the volume! Too loud is not good. I personally feel that 200 watts is a lot. Get an extention cab maybe but still keep the guitar volume down! Hearing is important. To both you and your auidence. You may use ear plugs (which you should always when onstage or at a show) but you dont know if your auidence will be.

Bear in mind I really have no idea about the whole bass power deal but a good friend of mine has a 200 watt bass amp and its really loud. It should work. I dont know which amp would be best though. Sorry I couldnt help more. I know little of bass. I browse this area of the forums seldom.

Good luck!

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Get an extention cab maybe but still keep the guitar volume down!
That is NOT an option. I hate my current amp! I'd much rather have 10's than a 15.
Turn down the volume!
I asked a SPECIFIC question with TWO possible answers. what does this have to do with what I asked? Bear in mind I really have no idea about the whole bass power
My dad always told me this...."If you don't know what you're talking about, then keep your mouth shut."
a good friend of mine has a 200 watt bass amp and its really loud. I understand that. The V4BH is only 100 all-tube watts, but awfully loud.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Holy s.... man! You just leaped down his throat! He was trying to offer helpful advice based on what he knows.

In fact, I agree with him; turn down the volume if at all possible. Any medium sized gig will be fine with 200 watts, as long as the guitarists roll off as well. In a small to medium venue, I'd say 60 to 80 watts for the bass amp, and 30 to 40 for the guitars is plenty. Some of those little amps are darn loud. You should hear my friends old POS crate with two 8" speakers. It's got way too much output for its own good.

I'd say a good PA will bring you out a little more, as long as it has the necessary low end, but then vocals might not come through well.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My apologies for the hostility.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear.

I am replacing my Crate amp...period! I want the classic SVT Ampeg tone. Period!

My question was if anyone were in my position, would they go "balls out" and get the 'big rig', or get something comparable in power to what I have now.

For the record, I did not mean to imply that all Crate amps are POS's. Just mine.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I agree that keeping down the volume is probably a good option.

I disagree that 200W is a lot of power for a bass amp. It's big (even huge) for a guitar amp, but below medium for a bass. The bass equivalent of a 60W guitar amp is about 300W. You need a lot more power (about 5x) to drive those long waves at an equivalent volume. Bass likes headroom. Guitars like overload.

Boosting a small bass amp through the PA system is usually a good option.

I find your tone (oopswasntme) deeply offensive and rude. I will take steps to ban or block you from our forum if it continues.

If you want an SVT Ampeg, get one and don't bother us.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I knew you didn't mean that all Crates are POS amps. But the one I was talking about is. :wink: I was trying to say that, POS status or not, it still has some output with only 30 or 40 watts (I forget which).

Okay, so you plan on buying a new amp. I didn't realize that. As I understood it, you were wondering whether a good PA would compensate for your current amp. So anyway, I still say that 200 watts should be plenty for a small to medium gig. I'd go with the tens like you said, since I don't feel that fifteens have a good tone, not enough high and mid range output. Maybe an amp with the same wattage as your current one, but a better speaker setup, something like a 2 or 4x10", would fit the bill.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Again, I apologize for the hostile tone.

I just find it irritating when I ask a specific question, with two specific choices, yet get a "write-in" answer.

I happen to moderate another forum like this one for hockey goalies. We have the same problems there. Someone will post a poll between 3 models of skates, brand X, Y, and Z, asking which one to buy. About 2% of the answers will fit those three. The other 98% are for Brand A, Brand Q, or "why do you need new skates?". Interesting about the thread in another area of this board about why there are so few people who participate.
I find your tone (oopswasntme) deeply offensive and rude. I will take steps to ban or block you from our forum if it continues.
No need. I can find my own way out, kid.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

Hey, thats not why I posted the question about a lack of posts. Besides, I haven't ever seen anybody go off on somebody else like that for no reason. We're all here to provide advice when somebody has a question. If you won't be happy unless we tell you what you want to hear, don't ask.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Would you prefer that I hadnt answered at all? Maybe one of the various browsers of the forum (that dont post) had a similar question. Maybe I gave them a good answer, even if it wasn't good enough for you.
Interesting about the thread in another area of this board about why there are so few people who participate.

That doesnt make sense. If we followed your advice simply voting or choosing from a list then there would be fewer replys. If someone didnt like any of the options then they would not vote nor would they respond. See what im saying?

There is no need to be disrespectful to Helgi by calling him "kid". He is a moderator. Nick doesnt just hand that responsibility to any one wanting it. He deserves it and does a damn good job at it.

Anyways good luck with your amp selection. I hope you find the right rig for you. See you around. :)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I think we've exhausted this one, so I'm locking it.

BTW - good responses, Izzy!

-Laz

ReplyQuote